Breast Augmentation | Auburn, AL
Breast augmentation or enlargement is one of the most common cosmetic procedures for women. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons® almost 300,000 breast augmentations were performed in the United States in 2019. Women undergo breast augmentation for a variety of reasons including:
- To enhance the size or symmetry of the breasts
- To restore lost volume after pregnancy, breastfeeding, or weight loss
- To restore shape to breasts affected by changes in skin elasticity (can be combined with a breast lift procedure)
- To correct a physical malformation, such as tuberous breasts
Watch a Breast Augmentation Video by Dr. Aquadro!
Who is a good candidate for breast augmentation?
- Women with underdeveloped breasts seeking to improve body proportions
- Women with decreased breast volume following weight loss or pregnancy
- Women with breast asymmetries seeking better balance
- Healthy individual
- Realistic goals and expectations
What incisions can be used to place breast implants?
Generally there are four breast incisions that are used to place implants. There are pros and cons to each site.
- Inframammary fold incision (IMF) – Probably the most common site for breast augmentation is the U.S. This incision is placed directly in the fold under the breast. It allows good visualization for the surgeon and is well hidden. The rate of capsular contracture is lower versus the periareolar incision.
- Periareolar incision – This incision is placed under the areola where the areola meets the skin. It can heal very well and be almost imperceptible at times. However, if it does not heal well, the scar is directly on the front of your breast. The rate of capsular contracture has been shown to be higher with this incision in studies.
- Axillary incision – This incision is placed high in the axilla. The good thing about this incision is that there are no incisions on your breast. The bad thing is that when you have on a sleeveless dress, shirt or swim suit, you may be able to see the incision. Both saline and silicone implants can be placed through this incision. Large silicone implants become more difficult to place from the axillary incision. The use of an endoscope can make this procedure more precise.
- Umbilical incision (TUBA) – The umbilical incision is used to place a saline implant from your umbilicus. The good thing is that there are no scars on your breast. Only saline implants can be placed through this incision.
What if I want larger breasts but still want them to look natural?
Natural results with breast augmentation can be achieved with proper planning. Dr. Aquadro will discuss your goals and provide you with recommendations to achieve natural appearing breasts. Implant size, profile and shape all are important decisions that need to be made during your consulatation.
What types of implants are available?
At East Alabama Plastic Surgery we offer the latest breast implant technology. The Ideal Implant is FDA approved for implantation in the US and will only be available to board certified plastic surgeons. Dr. Aquadro was the only surgeon in East Alabama to provide the Ideal Implant when it launched in 2015. The Ideal Implant is different from other implants because it is a saline filled implant that feels more natural than traditional saline implants. More information about Ideal Implant.
What can I expect from a consultation with Dr. Aquadro?
At East Alabama Plastic Surgery we believe you should be well informed about any procedure you are considering. Dr. Aquadro provides breast augmentation consultations to discuss your concerns and provide you with up to date information about the procedure. Feel free to bring photos to discuss what you like and do not like. Dr. Aquadro will present the different options for breast augmentation and discuss the pros and cons of each decision. He will discuss implant placement (over the muscle vs. under the muscle), implant style (silicone gel filled vs. saline filled), texturing and incision placement with you at the time of your consultation. There are many decisions to be made and we want to involve you in every step of the process. When you to leave East Alabama Plastic Surgery, you should feel at ease about the decision you and Dr. Aquadro reached about breast augmentation.
What to expect the day of surgery?
Many times breast augmentation surgery can be performed in the office. On the day of surgery, Dr. Aquadro will make some marks on you in the preoperative holding area and confirm the surgery details with you. The surgery usually takes one hour and you will go home the same day. Absorbable sutures are used, so there is no need to remove any sutures. Most women return to work within a couple of days. Full strenuous activity can be resumed at 4-6 weeks.
Breast Augmentation Before & After Photos
Learn how to massage your implants post operatively.